Thursday, July 12, 2007

It's Thursday, and I'm still a "vanity-pubbed" author.

I thought maybe I would've cooled down a little by now.

Not so much.

Rather than rant, I'm just going to link to what some other smart people have to say on the subject.

This one is is a few years old, but I love it. "Tree Forts for Grown-ups."

Here's the perspective from soon-to-be-NY-pubbed author Maya Reynolds.

And here's what author Lynne Simpson has to say.

Finally, author Emily Veinglory destroys the EREC blog's G rating with her potty mouth. See? The RWA turns even the most mild-mannered of us into loud-mouthed little shrews.

Not that Emily is a loud-mouthed little shrew. That's all me, baby.

SelahMarch.com - Romance of Dubious Virtue

7Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, RWA, I just don't understand them. What are they actually trying to do? I don't want them to recognized every epub that pops up, but I do want them to understand exactly what epublishing is. Honestly, I don't think they give a flying fuck about epub authors and I don't think thats going to change.

7/12/2007 3:59 PM  
Blogger Ann Vremont said...

This is so seriously burning my balls.

7/12/2007 7:08 PM  
Blogger Lynne Simpson said...

I hoped they'd come out with a clarification today, but now Angela James has just confirmed on her blog that Samhain has been de-recognized. :-(

7/12/2007 9:45 PM  
Blogger Selah March said...

That's fine. I don't need them, and they don't WANT me, so the RWA and I have come to mutual agreement to ignore each other.

I hope Samhain doesn't suffer any losses from this. I suppose this means Loose Id is out, too?

7/12/2007 10:11 PM  
Blogger veinglory said...

I would imagine so, unless everyone else has been getting $1000 advances and not telling me ;)

7/13/2007 6:25 PM  
Blogger FerfeLaBat said...

They need a PR person on retainer and they need to run things past their spin doctors before releasing any new stuff in public. Someone said they have 7000 members? It's almost criminal not to have a PR person for a company that size. If they aren't careful Germany might declare them a cookoo cult and refuse to allow them to write romances set in Germany - not that anyone ever does - probably because we ARE a cult. Well that explains everything.

7/13/2007 7:38 PM  
Blogger Selah March said...

Actually, Ferfe, the membership stands at 9K and change. 7K is the figure given for unpublished members, but then they're counting the ones who are unpubbed according to their recognition/participation standards.

I'm not sure if that figure includes associate members/industry professionals liked editors and agents.

Emily - I figured. I just didn't want to make stuff up without knowing for a fact.

Don'tcha wish the Board at RWA had half so much care for little details like that?

7/13/2007 8:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home