Thursday, June 28, 2007

Like a Hoover, Baby.

I've often bemoaned my suckitude at self-promo. Truly, I hate it with the fiery passion of ten-thousand stars gone nova. I'd rather be writing. Hell, I'd rather be washing a fat beagle with bad breath and a penchant for humping my leg. (Guess what's on my To Do list today?)

I've never gone the "widgets" route. No bookmarks, no pens, no magnets. I don't even have a business card. I did a gift basket for a con once. Have no idea if it sold any books, but I sort of enjoyed the process of putting it together. I do try to show up once every six weeks or so on a Yahoo loop chat organized by my publishers to post blurbs and excerpts and run a quickie contest, but I spend the entire time thinking that I sound like an obnoxious, self-absorbed loser who has nothing better to do than talk about her own stuff. Live chats in which I'm expected to banter extemporaneously about my writing while trading quips with other readers and authors? Gave those up for Lent two years ago and never went back. I salute those who enjoy them and can pull them off successfully, but...like a Hoover, baby. Seriously. I SUCK at it.

Which, frankly, is pretty much how I feel about blogging, but I figure that if you're here and reading, it must be for a reason. Unless someone is holding a gun to your head. Is someone holding a gun to your head? BLINK THREE TIMES if someone is holding a gun to your head to force you to read this blog. I'll call 911. No. Really.

Okay then. Check out PBW's post: Self-Promotion That Doesn't Suck.

Her list includes:

1. Previous familiarity with author's other work through excerpts and free stories, etc.

Check. I try to post excerpts will some regularity, though I could do better at that. And I've still got my free ebook from last year's PBW Ebook Challenge up on my website. (DARK OF THE DAY, a mildly erotic paranormal romance about life, death, and the spaces in between.) I've gotten a pretty good response from that -- a few nice letters from people who enjoyed it -- but I have no idea if it's sold any other books. I guess I'll take it on faith, since PBW tends to know what she's talking about.

2. Recommendation of friend.

I can't force y'all to pimp me. But I'd appreciate it mightily, for I am a big 'ho.

3. Reading about book on another person's blog or website.

I'm sending out more stuff for reviews on individual blogs, rather than the big reviewing sites, which my publishers pretty much have covered anyway. It's paid off in a few cases and I plan to keep doing it within reason. I've also done a couple interviews and give-aways on romance-related blogs. We'll see if it makes a difference.

I certainly could do more. I'm sadly remiss at the contest thing. Hmmm...

Okay, comment on this post and tomorrow morning sometime, I will randomly choose one winner from the comments to receive a free ebook of their choice from my backlist (basically everything but SIN STREET, which is only available in print). List can be found on my website, link below. Be sure to check the "books" link AND the "home" page for choices.

I suspect this won't work as well on a blog that gets relatively few hits, but we'll see. I'll try anything once. I have the scars to prove it.

SelahMarch.com - Romance of Dubious Virtue

12Comments:

Blogger Eva Gale said...

I luurve pimping you.

6/28/2007 11:44 PM  
Blogger Selah March said...

*sigh*

I lurve pimping you too, pet.

I had a feeling this wouldn't be a raving success. Ah, well. We'll try again in a year.

6/29/2007 9:04 AM  
Blogger Ann Vremont said...

Shoot. That's why you need to make the contest a couple days long!

6/29/2007 9:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love coincidence. Over on PBW’s BLOG yesterday I commented that I had bought books by 3 authors as a result of her E-Book Challenge. You were one of them.

So it really does work.

And you don’t even have to give me a free ebook for saying so. ;-)

6/29/2007 10:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Look, you pain in the ass doofus, I talked about pimping you (which I'm still planning to do on Sunday, btw) and you started twitching and doing that odd thing with the vein in your forehead.

I'ma gonna pimp you, dammit.

Maybe that'll get my blog rating up above PG. *g*

6/29/2007 3:57 PM  
Blogger Selah March said...

Aw, you guys. You make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. And I haven't even broken out the Cuervo yet.

Thank you, Sandy. My ebook challenge story is near and dear to my heart.

I'll try it again next month, and I'll let the contest run for a few days, like Ann suggested (thank you, Ann!). And I'll give away two books, even.

Barbara, dearest, you know why I'm reacting that way. But if it turns your blog into the den of inequity you so crave, then by all means, pimp away.

*twitch*

6/29/2007 8:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Think of those promo shortcomings as a way to build mystery!

Though, seriously, there are quite a few authors who are very active online, but they also have problems with acting a little crazy. Maybe you have the right idea. Let the readers know when you have a book and then leave them alone.

Besides, everyone loves free reads. I've brought some ebooks where I wish I could have gotten a better sample of an author's writing than just a excerpt.

You know I keep on pimpin' your books.

7/01/2007 3:11 AM  
Blogger Selah March said...

Yes, I know, and I deeply appreciate it, Arin. Check your inbox in the near future. I'm sending a lil' sumpin' sumpin'.

7/02/2007 9:18 PM  
Blogger Becky said...

I don't think you suck at all promoting your books Selah! I like the chancey thing. Because then everyone has a chance. I would say that you are doing quite well at the moment. Keep it up.

*hugs*

7/10/2007 1:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I get most of my books to be bought from blogs and loops, so that's good self promoting. Your books look great.

7/10/2007 8:33 AM  
Blogger Lil said...

Ya know, there are times when I hate yahell. *sigh* late again...

Lil

7/10/2007 12:25 PM  
Blogger Selah March said...

Sorry, Lil. :(

I'll be running other contests. Bookmark this page and you're bound to come across one. :)

7/10/2007 6:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home