Wednesday, November 15, 2006

A Postcard From the Edge

Let's see...well, bad news first. My submission to Ellora's Cave 2007 "Caveman" anthologies was, as expected, reeeeeeeeeeeJECTED. Rather than whine about it again, I direct you to my pathetic, loser-like mewlings on the subject.

I have since submitted the story elsewhere. And now the wait begins again. This is the part of publishing everyone hates, methinks. So...nothing to see here. Moving right along.

Had my rear brakes entirely rebuilt yesterday. Five hundred bucks and change. Decimated my book-buying budget from now 'til February. Luckily, I have very little time to read because...


...within the next ten weeks, I have no fewer than three hard deadlines for contracted and/or verbally promised work. The total word count for these combined projects could (that's COULD, not WILL) exceed 80K. I'm a little overwhelmed by the prospect, but I'm taking it one day at a time.

God, I loved that show when I was a kid. All my friends wanted to be Valerie Bertinelli, but me? I wanted to be Bonnie Franklin (the mom) living in my own apartment with a cool job and the perfect pageboy haircut. (Later the perfect pixie cut.) Dysfunctional daughters optional.

ANYWAY...PBW has decided to critique ALL the 2006 Ebook Challenge entries, instead of choosing twenty from the group. Is that not the coolest thing? Is she not incredibly generous with her time and effort? I've said it before, but...MY HERO. Seriously? Seriously.

We've had heavy fog here every morning so far this week. The kind of fog that makes the drive to school with the spawn take a good twenty minutes, instead of the usual six-and-a-half from door to door. The kind of fog that makes it so I can't see the house across the street. The kind of fog that makes me want to sit in the big chair by the window in the living room and stare out, contemplating the universe and my infinitesimal place in it.

I'm trying to refrain from this sort of behavior. It never leads to good things. If only the weather would cooperate...

And...that's about it. I leave you with this.

This is it. (This is it.)
This is life, the one you get, so go and have a ball.
This is it. (This is it.)
Straight ahead and rest assured, you can't be sure at all.
So while you're here, enjoy the view. Keep on doing what you do.
So hold on tight, we’ll muddle through
One day at a time. (One day at a time.)
So up on your feet. (Up on your feet)
Somewhere there's music playing.
Don't you worry none, we'll just take it like it comes.
One day at a time. (One day at a time.)

Heh. Now that seventies sitcom gem is going to be stuck in your head all day. Don't say I never gave you nothin'. :p

SelahMarch.com - Romance of Dubious Virtue

3Comments:

Blogger Karen Scott said...

Selah, I don't know what the fuck EC are looking for, but most of their newbie authors suck ass, yet they're rejecting potentially brilliant authors left, right and centre. I know at least three authors that they recently rejected, whose work was better than some of the dross I've read from them lately.

11/15/2006 3:20 PM  
Blogger Eva Gale said...

Hooo man did I love that show and I can't believe you whiplashed it into my head.

Rejections? I haven't read many EC's I've liked and I love your work. So. Onward.

11/15/2006 3:56 PM  
Blogger Selah March said...

Thanks, guys. I'm sure they had their reasons. :)

11/15/2006 5:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home