Wednesday, July 06, 2005

If I were a betting woman...

...I'd gamble that a bunch of people read the Publishers Weekly article on the state of Romance in which RWA President Tara Taylor Quinn says, "Everyone is jumping around looking for the next new trend instead of writing where their heart is...Publishers need to become much more flexible about the kinds of stories they accept" and said "HUH?? How many personalities does this woman have, anyway? And isn't there a treatment program for that disorder?"

Barb lays it out better than I can, 'cause she's brilliant and stuff. (Scroll down to the 7/6 post entitled "It'd be funny if it wasn't so pathetic...")

3Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations on the sale. Phaze sounds like a great e pub. Your book sounds like something I would love to read.

As far as the TTQ quote...um, don't publishers take what's selling??? Those darn picky publishers!

Oh, and thanks, now I'm homesick for Glacier Park.

7/08/2005 12:16 AM  
Blogger Selah March said...

Becca, what is this "selling" of which you speak?

Don't you know publishers exist to print and promote the "stories of our hearts?" Even if those stories are trite, overwritten throw-backs to 1950s misogynistic "family" values? Preferably starring 28-year-old, drop-dead-gorgeous virgins who are not only pure and untouched, but have never even THOUGHT of having sex, much less experienced orgasms?

I don't understand. What does "selling" have to do with it? You speak as if publishing were a business upon which tens of thousands of people depend for their livelihoods.

Strange, silly woman.

(And I love Glacier Park, too. Can't wait to explore it without the kids whining in stereo from the back seat.)

7/08/2005 3:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, I GET it now. Sheesh, I'm such a noobie. I need to send in my big bucks to RWA Right Now so I can get my brain rearranged.

Oops! I spent all my money on books and at ebay on an old Alpha Smart, cuz I thought it would help with writing. Hmmm. Heehee.

7/10/2005 11:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home