Saturday, November 17, 2007

A 22-caliber kind of post.

Bullet points. Because I'm just THAT lazy.


~Wicked late on this, but my fabulously brilliant and ever-stylish crit partner, Barbara Caridad Ferrer, has been quoted in the New York Times regarding the dress she wore whilst winning a 2007 RITA.


~During Creation Con in Chicago last weekend, SUPERNATURAL actors Jensen Ackles and Jared Padalecki received a presentation and gifts from the US military in recognition of the first and second seasons of their show being the #1-requested DVDs by soldiers serving in Iraq and Afghanistan. If you're not watching this show? You should be. Here's a link to a video of the presentation. It's very moving, IMHO.


~I'm reading REJECTION, ROMANCE AND ROYALTIES: THE WACKY WORLD OF A WORKING WRITER by Laura Resnick, also known as Laura Leone. For an honest and frequently funny look at what it's like to try to make a living as a genre fiction writer, I can't recommend this book highly enough. A quote on the topic of reviews and reviewers that I found particularly apt:

"Art is subjective; therefore, of course, opinions about a novel will always be varied, and often even conflicting. I certainly don't enjoy bad reviews, but I accept that disliking my work is a perfectly fair and valid response when reviewing it.

However, when reviewers get absorbed in their own speculative theories, make inaccurate accusations, are deliberately cruel, or get inappropriately personal, many writers -- understandably -- get annoyed.

...Overall, the conclusion I've come to over the years is that nasty and sloppy book reviewers would probably go about their work very differently if they were the victims of the sort of careless, ignorant, scathing public commentary that we must regularly endure as novelists. Since that's not likely to happen soon, however, I continue to follow advice than an acting teacher of mine, years ago, attributed to Sir Laurence Olivier: 'If the reviews are bad, you can't believe them. If the reviews are good, you can't believe them. Your job is just to go out there and do your very best work every show, eight shows per week.'"


~That said? I'm choosing to believe the following review of my novella "Hardcore," (part of the Phaze FANTASIES III anthology) by Ryes at Rainbow Reviews:

"The plot never slows down, and the interaction between Jesse and Sean is great to watch. This is March's first foray into gay romance and I'm impressed at her characterizations. Sex scenes were beyond hot and tastefully done, with just the right bit of kink. They were also free of trite expressions.

'Hardcore' is a great read and I look forward to more from the author."


~I'm hosting Thanksgiving this year for the clan, so if I show up here or anywhere else online in the next five days, please beat me about the head and shoulders with a frozen drumstick and tell me to get back in the kitchen where I belong, 'k?

Have a happy. :)

SelahMarch.com - Romance of Dubious Virtue

8Comments:

Blogger Tate said...

That's a great review!

Thanks for the Supernatural link. It gives me hope that the series will be around for a while.

11/17/2007 5:15 PM  
Blogger Eva Gale said...

*kicks stone*

Okay, I'll watch. I can't promise I'll be fluent in Supernatural Speak, but at least I won't be out of the loop.

And on that quote? *whoa*

11/17/2007 5:57 PM  
Blogger Eva Gale said...

And congratulations on the fantastic review. Very well deserved.

11/17/2007 5:58 PM  
Blogger Selah March said...

Thanks, guys.

SPN's ratings were pretty abysmal last week, Tate. I wouldn't be surprised if it went off the air at the end of the season no matter how rabid its fanbase, soldier or civilian.

But at least Eva won't have to FORCE herself to watch. :p

11/18/2007 8:43 AM  
Blogger Tate said...

That sucks Selah. The best shows get cancelled. Remember Firefly?

11/19/2007 1:25 PM  
Blogger FerfeLaBat said...

What night. What time. What station. I'll watch.

GREAT review! Much deserved.

The parts of reviews that describe the characters or plot should be reasonably accurate. If that is screwed up then it's probably ok to get privately peeved. (Just don't make corrections publicly because ... it's hazardous. Just say'n.) Other than that I think any reaction about the book is good. Except. If that reaction spills over into the reviewer demanding you hand over your first born for sacrifice to prevent the literary cancer from spreading and reproducing, then run. And don't look back. That only happens a few times a year though.

11/19/2007 10:13 PM  
Blogger Selah March said...

Tate - Not only do I remember Firefly, I refuse to watch anything broadcast on Fox because of what they did to that show.

Ferfe - Thursdays, 9 PM on the CW. The show is on hiatus now 'til mid-December, but they may show reruns. The first two seasons are available on DVD.

Zeek - Go for it. :)

11/20/2007 4:23 PM  
Blogger Kate said...

you're allowed to be lazy, but you're going to need a note from a doctor if you don't post again soon. Or a hall pass or something.

We found firefly last year on disks at the library. We watched them in the proper order without ads. We loved them, every last member of my family loved that series--a first (well we all liked Beauty and the Beast when the oldest was five)

11/26/2007 7:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home