Friday, April 13, 2007

Just a song before I go...

No, I'm not really going anywhere, unless you count taking my daughter to gymnastics practice. Sorry to get your hopes up. :p

So Eva's posted about what music she listens to while she writes. Specific songs for specific stories, that kind of thing. My other crit partner, Barb, is also big into the whole soundtrack thing, and she's the one who got me making play-lists for everything I write. I don't so much listen WHILE I'm writing, just because my muse is a "low talker" and I have to listen closely, with no distractions, to hear what she's saying. But while I wash dishes? Fold laundry? Shower? Drive? Oh yeah.


Anyway. A list, beginning with my most recent release and working backward:

SKIN DEEP: Lot’s o’ conflict in this mix, but with a “shmoopy” finish. Just like the novella, pretty much.
You're Beautiful - James Blunt
Damn, I Wish I Was Your Lover - Sophie B. Hawkins
Skin Deep - Melissa Etheridge
Cryin' - Aerosmith
You're Not Drinkin' Enough - Don Henley
Angel Eyes - Jeff Healey Band

DIRTY SHAME: This mix is VERY heavy on the sweet and shmoop. Seriously. Diabetics, beware.
Freebird - Lynyrd Skynyrd
Can’t Find My Way Home - Blind Faith
When I’m Gone - 3 Doors Down
Strange Way To Tell Me You Love Me - Firefall
From Me To You - Janis Ian
In the Arms of the Angel - Sarah McLachlan
Taking You Home - Don Henley

DARK OF THE DAY (offered on my website as a free story, part of the 2006 PBW Ebook Challenge) This mix never fails to make me cry.
Scarborough Fair - Simon and Garfunkel
Tea and Sympathy - Janis Ian
Songbird - Fleetwood Mac
Sand and Water - Beth Neilson Chapman
Crystal - Fleetwood Mac

LIE TO ME: Very “working class” mix, heavy on the Meatloaf for obvious reasons if you’ve read the novella.
Bat Out of Hell - Meatloaf
Brilliant Disguise - Bruce Springsteen
Dirty Man - Joss Stone
Lie To Me - Bon Jovi
Baby Did A Bad, Bad Thing - Chris Isaak
Paradise By The Dashboard Light - Meatloaf
Last Dance With MaryJane - Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers
Heaven Can Wait - Meatloaf

TO HAVE AND HAVE NOT: Dark. Very.
Everybody Knows - Concrete Blonde
Is This Real? - Lisa Hall
Knight Moves - Suzanne Vega
One Headlight - The Wallflowers
I Need You - Joan Armatrading
Midnight - Yaz
Don’t Fear The Reaper - Blue Oyster Cult

HER BLACK LITTLE HEART:
The soundtrack to the A&E version of PRIDE AND PREJUDICE.

MOONDANCE:
This story is almost as much about the music as it is about anything else, and anyone who's interested can find a complete list of the music referenced in the story here.

Coming soon and works-in-progress:

FLESH AND BONE: (part of Phaze’s upcoming FORTUNE’S FOOL anthology, due out later in the spring) This mix is dark, spooky, and heavy on The Eagles, oddly enough.
Hotel California - The Eagles
Mea Culpa - Enigma
Intuition - Jewel
Witchy Woman - The Eagles
Imaginary Lover - Atlanta Rhythm Section
Rooms on Fire - Stevie Nicks
Year of the Cat - Al Stewart

HARDCORE: (part of Phaze Fantasies III, and my first M/M romance) This one’s an odd mix, and a work-in-progress itself. It’s change several times, and may change again as I work the rough spots out of the story.
Dream On - Aerosmith
Just Like Jesse James - Cher (Yes, I know, DON’T JUDGE ME. It works for the story, all right??)
Victim of Love - The Eagles
Figured You Out - Nickelback
My Lover - Melissa Etheridge
Save Tonight - Eagle-Eye Cherry
This Night - Black Lab
You Can Sleep While I Drive - Melissa Etheridge


Wow, that was a lot of work to type up, and now I have very little time leftover for writing today. Blame Eva. :p

SelahMarch.com - Romance of Dubious Virtue

5Comments:

Blogger Eva Gale said...

Man, and I thought I had eclectic taste in music. Now I'm scritching all these new-to-me names down. And it's not fair, you have more songs per soundtrack. I'll have to work on that.

I posted at Ferfe's that you did this. *eg* She's going to LOVE it.

4/13/2007 5:10 PM  
Blogger Eva Gale said...

You ought to make this a permanent part of your sidebar, too.

4/13/2007 5:11 PM  
Blogger EL PADRONE said...

Hi Selah,

Yup - love Tom Petty. Been playing his latest album in the car for the last 600 miles or so.

Don Henley too but different tracks to you ( In A New York Minute, Sunset Grill, End Of Innocence and obviously The Boys Of Summer - possibly THE song that nails me completely).

M xx

4/14/2007 6:58 PM  
Blogger Selah March said...

Yes, I'm sure Ferfe will be along presently to SHOWER me with love and affection. Any second now. Five...four...three...two...

I'm about to have the entire site, including the blog re-designed in WordPress, so I'll see if I can add it to a sidebar somewhere. Dunno.

Tom Petty is a GOD, Merlin. And I LOVE "New York Minute," and "The Boys of Summer" may yet be a the title of an upcoming novella I've been noodling for several weeks. That song...my freshman year of college...now I'm all nostalgic. :p

4/15/2007 12:07 PM  
Blogger EL PADRONE said...

Think I saw Tom Petty 5 times in the days when he used to tour the UK a lot and you're right - the man is "awesome" (to use the American phrase I promised I'd never use).

And if you want to know what I'm really like (as you'll probably never meet me) "The Boys Of Summer" tells you everything you really need to know !

(You may need to add in a couple of tracks off "Damn The Torpedos" as well).

xx

4/15/2007 2:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home